President Biden Recaps Historic Accomplishments and Lays Out Vision for America
Tonight, President Joe Biden recapped some of the landmark accomplishments from the first two years of his presidency and outlined priorities going forward. The Biden-Harris administration has delivered landmark achievements that have directly benefited New Mexican families.
Just some of the major accomplishments of President Joe Biden’s first two years include:
- Historic job-creating legislation, like The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, American Rescue Plan, & Chips Act, that will help create lasting, high-quality jobs for the working middle class.
- The Inflation Reduction Act, which is the once-in-a-generation infrastructure and pro-family law that lowers prescription drug, health care, and energy costs for American families. It’s also the most aggressive legislation tackling the climate crisis in American history.
- Historic surge in job growth by creating more than 12 million jobs in his first two years and 517,000 last month alone, as unemployment hit a 53-year low.
- A plan to dispel student debt for hundreds of thousands of Americans, which Republicans are delaying with political games.
- Pardoning all prior federal offenses of simple possession of marijuana.
- The Respect for Marriage Act, which enshrines marriage equality protections for Americans into federal law.
- Capping insulin costs at $35 per month for seniors on Medicare.
- Restoring the status and reputation of the United States on the international stage after Donald Trump did everything in his power to weaken it.
Democratic Party of New Mexico Chair Jessica Velasquez released the following response to tonight’s State of the Union address on behalf of the Democratic Party of New Mexico:
“With tonight’s State of the Union Address, President Biden left no doubt that he’s delivered on his ambitious agenda, and he’s just getting started. In his first two years, he delivered historic infrastructure legislation, a surge in job creation, a comprehensively people-first agenda, and more – all while restoring America’s status on the world stage.
Republicans have shown their hand time and time again. Whether they’re undermining student debt relief or prolonging the exhausting debacle that was Kevin McCarthy’s election to be Speaker, it’s clear that the GOP puts political games and self-interest ahead of policies that put people first. It’s quite remarkable that the Biden-Harris administration was able to accomplish so much while dealing with nonstop dogmatic displays of partisan pandering from the Republicans at every turn.
Tonight we heard the President’s plans to forge ahead and build on the progress of his first two years. He laid out his plans for paid family and medical leave for millions, continue rebuilding America’s reputation on the international stage, and more equitable taxes on corporations and the wealthiest Americans.
It is clear that with such a successful start to the first two years of his ambitious presidency, President Biden will continue to deliver for the American people going forward. The Democratic Party of New Mexico will be right there with him every step of the way.”