1. Democrats will continue to promote effective measures that have proven to reduce unwanted pregnancies, by providing resources and options such as access to birth control, accessibility to reproductive health and family planning centers, comprehensive sex education, and school-based health care; and
2. That a woman’s healthcare choices are personal decisions between a woman and her healthcare provider.
1. Support ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment to the Constitution guaranteeing equal rights for all people;
2. Fight to secure equal pay for women to ensure women’s economic independence and power, which will benefit all women and their families, particularly women of color who are disproportionately impacted by discriminatory pay practices, and against other factors that contribute to the wage gap;
3. Fight to end gender discrimination in all areas by combatting biases across economic, educational, political, and social life that hold all women and girls back and limit their opportunities;
4. Call for our political leaders to set the precedent to address any form of sexual harassment and sexual violence wherever it occurs; and to end non-disclosure agreements and “cooling off periods” that silence women and others who have suffered sexual harassment and violence. We will promote civility and speak out against sexism and other forms of intolerance that have entered our political discourse;
5. Support PREA, the Prison Rape Elimination Act, to protect women, including asylum seekers, non-citizens, and transgender women, who are incarcerated and/or in custody from discrimination, sexual exploitation, and harrassment;
6. Demand funding to Planned Parenthood health centers, which provide critical health services to millions of people and encourage expansion of Planned Parenthood’s capabilities in rural areas;
7. Repeal the Hyde Amendment which bars the use of federal funds for abortion and impedes a woman’s access to safe and legal healthcare;
8. Ensure all women have full and equal access, within reasonable proximity, to comprehensive healthcare, including reproductive healthcare services, cancer prevention, screening, and treatment;
9. Strongly and unequivocally support a woman’s right to choose to have a child or end a pregnancy. We will also work to provide support during pregnancy and after the birth of a child, including paid maternity and family leave, affordable childcare, adoption and social support services, behavioral health services, and protections for women against pregnancy discrimination;
10. End the epidemic of violence against women and girls wherever it occurs, including in our homes, streets, schools, military installations, detention facilities, institutions, and work places;
11. We condemn human trafficking in all its forms;
12. We believe FDR’s vision of Freedom from Fear should apply equally to all women so that women can live full lives without fear of gender-based violence;
13. Support the Violence Against Women Act to provide law enforcement with the tools it needs to protect victims of violence; and
14. Commit to ending the backlog of processing rape kits.