Rep. Gabe Vasquez is Putting New Mexicans First While Herrell Has a Troubling Record in Congress
ALBUQUERQUE – Today, Yvette Herrell brought US Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy to Las Cruces, a city she ignored throughout her term in Congress, to announce another campaign for the Republican nomination for New Mexico’s Second Congressional District. The announcement was made at a rally at the city’s Heritage Farm and Ranch Museum.
Representative Gabe Vasquez’s (NM-02) first term is off to a strong start, including securing Community Project Funding for his district and ensuring the federal government always remembers NM-02.
Democratic Party of New Mexico Chair Jessica Velasquez released the following statement after the announcement:
“Representative Gabe Vasquez has already achieved more in his first three months than Yvette Herrell did in her entire time in Congress. Rep. Gabe Vasquez focuses on commonsense policy that puts New Mexicans first, free from partisan or corporate pressure. We’re excited by his legislative accomplishments and are proud to support him throughout his first term and into his reelection campaign.
New Mexicans remember Yvette Herrell’s extreme and out-of-touch agenda that prioritizes corporations over constituents. Yvette Herrell’s announcement with national elite GOP leadership is out of step with New Mexican values and shows that she remains beholden to Washington politicians, not to the people of New Mexico’s Second District.”
Herrell lost the 2022 general election for the NM-02 seat to Rep. Gabe Vasquez. Unlike Herrell, Rep. Gabe Vasquez has consistently put the interests of New Mexicans above corporate influence in his first term in Congress.
While Herrell held the NM-02 seat from 2021 to 2023, her record included:
- Sponsoring the Life at Conception Act, which would ban all abortions and certain types of contraceptives, such as IUDs nationwide – including New Mexico.
- Undermining democracy by voting against certifying the 2020 election results.
- Promoting the use of Ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19, putting people in danger with this bizarre conspiracy.
- Voting against help for New Mexico fire victims of the Calf Canyon/Hermit’s Peak fire, many of whom lost everything in the worst fire in state history, despite trying to take credit for relief efforts.
- Associating with criminal insurrectionist Couy Griffin and touting his endorsement.