Delegate selection is how New Mexico chooses Democrats to represent our state at the Democratic National Convention (DNC). Delegates have the opportunity to support their presidential candidate and make their voices heard on a national level.
Any registered Democrat can run to be a delegate! Make sure you meet the criteria by
- Checking your voter registration using the New Mexico Secretary of State website
- Registering or changing your party affiliation to Democratic by May 4, 2020
Delegate selection starts long before the first convention. Increase your chances of success by
- Fundraising! Delegates are responsible for the majority of their own expenses, so start fundraising now. Tips and tricks for fundraising will be available on nmdemocrats.org.
- Reaching out to presidential campaigns! Candidates will certify their delegates, so it’s always a good idea to get on a campaign’s radar early.
There are four major steps to becoming a national delegate
- Filing – By May 13, 2020, those who wish to be district-level delegates must file a Statement of Candidacy and Pledge of Support
- Ward/Precinct Elections – Between June 3, 2020 and June 6, 2020, wards and precincts will elect delegates to the county-level convention
- County-Level Conventions – On June 6, 2020, those elected at the ward/precinct meeting will elect delegates to the state-level and district-level conventions.
- Congressional District-level Conventions – On June 13, 2020, those elected at county-level conventions will elect delegates to the National Convention
Note: These steps may be different for PLEO and at-large or alternate delegates.
In order to be a delegate, there are several key dates to keep in mind.
September 10 – January 1: Delegate selection workshops take place across New Mexico
March 1: Statement of Candidacy and Pledge of Support forms available at nmdemocrats.org
May 4: Deadline to register as a Democrat
May 13: Deadline for Congressional District-level candidates to file Statement of Candidacy and Pledge of Support forms
June 2: New Mexico Primary Election
June 3 – 6: Ward/Precinct Meetings
June 6: County-level conventions
June 13: Congressional District-level conventions
June 14: Deadline for PLEO and at-large candidates to file Statement of Candidacy and Pledge of Support forms
June 20: State-level convention and delegation meeting
June 29: Deadline to submit Delegate Pledge and Acceptance Forms
July 13 – 16: Democratic National Convention